Tuesday, September 13, 2005

My boss is in today. Miracle of miracles. If I'm lucky he'll give me some work to do.

Right now he's in with the UPM and Production Supervisor going over resumes for director assistants.

I've never worked a feature before. In fact I'm not sure I'm even going to be working on this feature my boss is working on.

But I never knew these guys had their hands in deciding who helps out the director. I'm wondering when the actual director is called in to help decide who will be his right hand man.

I'm not sure how my own boss picked me out.

I sent my resume in blindly. My former employer was moving to follow a promotion he'd been granted. I was more than welcome to come - as long as I paid my own way and didn't expect a raise.

I declined this generous offer and stayed behind.

I decided I wanted to get back into production and out of the corporate world I'd been slaving in the last eight months. So I sought out the few shows still hiring.

I faxed my resume in. I followed up with a few phone calls. The production coordinator liked me enough to strategically place my resume in the pile on my soon to be boss's desk. I was called in for an interview, it went well, and here I am.

He comes from post-production as do I. He likes go-getters and when he found out I wasn't being recommended by anyone - well that sent him over the top and around the bend.

We finished filming middle of August. I spent three weeks wrapping out my work on the show and waiting for word on whether I was being kept around for this feature and further still if I was being brought back for next season on the show.

As of last Thursday, the day before my supposed last day, I was told I would be kept on till the end of the month.

Past that he still doesn't know.

At least I have a job, but I'd like to know if I should start stocking up on mac & cheese now or later.

No comments: