Wednesday, August 13, 2008

In Loving Memory

Jesse came into our lives on a sunny day near the beginning of spring a few years back. He stepped off the elevator on the 4th floor at Grand St, resume in hand, hoping to land a gig. His bravado made an impression and luckily we had an opening. Jesse worked with us thru three projects – two features and a tv show.

I remember the first day I introduced myself to him. He was sitting near my desk – on the other side of the wall. It was memorable to me because I’m not known for talking much to anyone let alone introducing myself – but I was determined to change my shy ways so I took a chance and said hi to him. Jesse put me at ease immediately with his charming smile and firm handshake.

Jesse impressed everyone here because he was not just a hard worker – he was also a thinker. He wanted to learn. He didn’t simply do his job and go home. He asked questions. He paid attention to how things worked. He read the call sheets – he studied the production reports – he critiqued the scripts. He was a sponge – soaking in as much information as he could possibly contain.

We spent many late nights together – waiting for the tv show to wrap – eating Mooncake – doing our work. It was always a source of comfort when he was here as Jesse would frequently pop back to my area – checking to make sure I was doing okay.

Near the end of the tv show, we started prepping a new feature. The writer/director needed an assistant. My boss asked me to put together a list of candidates. Jesse was the 1st person on my list. I knew he’d excel if given a chance. This seemed to be the perfect opportunity for him. He got the job and over the course of six months we became more than co-workers we became friends. We leaned on each other for support during the long late stressful days & nights. Jesse helped me stay awake one particularly late night when I was prepping the script – coming back in from Nyack NY just to help me out – I didn’t even ask – he just showed up because that was the type of guy that he was.

I told someone yesterday I felt a little like Lucy to his Charlie Brown – he was often found at my cubicle – humping my wall – peppering me with his "daily barrage of bad jokes and uninhibited sexual references" - singing songs - practicing some rather impressively cheesy dance moves - talking about his woes with women – asking advice about work – discussing his dreams for the future - or just generally shooting the shit. My “door” was never closed for him.

For his birthday that year – I bought him a book entitled “What’s Going On Down There? Answers to Questions Boys Find Hard to Ask.” It seemed apropos. I wish I could remember the message I inscribed inside its cover – I’m sure it was something sarcastic and fun to make him laugh. We surprised him at the end of filming that day – in front of the entire crew - much to his embarrassment. Jesse was also the kind of friend who never forgot your birthday – trekking out to the great hinterland of Joisey for my 30th surprise party.

He had a great critical eye for scripts. When I finished my first spec – he was one of the 1st people I showed it to for comments. He read it right away, meeting me at the Starbucks down the street to go over it in minute detail. His opinion was invaluable. He helped make my script stronger. I was looking forward to being able to repay the favor by reading his 1st script when it was done.

Jesse once told me it was an honor to be reading my work but as always the honor was mine to have known him and be able to call him my friend. He will be forever missed. I love you Jesse - continue making magic and movies in Heaven.

No comments: