Thursday, July 10, 2008

Seems I'm down to posting once or twice a year. It isn't for lack of effort - I definitely visit my blog more often - hoping to write something. It isn't for lack of material - God knows there's been plenty of drama going on between now and last November. It is more this - at this juncture in my life I'm tired of complaining because i feel that is what my life has been reduced to - complaining - and nothing gets more old than incessant complaining about the same old shit day in and day out.

So I'll attempt to summarize and just point out the facts:

I was out of work during the entire writer's strike which proved to be a bumpy time in many ways. I found out I can't even garner an interview outside my chosen field - or find work even as a temp - which is unsettling to say the least. The best I could manage was some babysitting gigs. It was also during this time, without work, that my finances took a rather nasty nose dive requiring some creative juggling on my part to keep things afloat. My older blind dog hit a major rough spot with her health - various problems that all added up to a whole lotta dough and stress. Thankfully she's oodles better now. My own health decided now would be a good time to crap out as well, but that's a rather long boring story with lots of unsavory details. After much money and many doctor visits I'm in a healthier place than before. My condition is chronic and will require continued care but my overall health is more stable than it was pre-crapping out. Finances have improved as well.

Things in the love life department are eh. Still in love and all that mushy stuff but feeling the itch - after three years - to have more than what we do. Logistics seem to be creating rust in the mechanics of making it all happen though. I'm facing a decision - stay or move on - which I'm loathe to make.

Work is the usual insanity. My former boss man really went to bat and got me back to the world of the living after my health had relegated me to being a recluse. I ended up doing the feature I mentioned in my last post and to make things extra interesting juggled the tv show at the same time. I got to be on set - which I love - but now that the feature is done am back in the office - which loyal readers know I hate.

Movie was definitely more low-key than the last feature I worked on but it wasn't without its own set of dramas.

As for the tv show - we're in our final season - doing double our normal block of episodes which keeps us all in the gravy for a good long while. I was hoping, b/c after all hope springs eternal, to get on set for this final season - or at least more so than I've been allowed previously. I beat my drum loudly for this to happen. Alas it was not meant to be as here I am - chained and back to the original desk I had when I first started working with these guys over three years ago. I've also been forced to swallow a rather bitter pill (per one of our ep/writer's words) when it comes to some advancement I was led to believe I would get - it was instead handed off to an upstart PA with scant experience in the field. My bitter pill is still stuck in my throat. I'm looking for other work but when one is in a niche field with a niche job on the wrong side of the states - opportunities are few and far between. It may be time - once this job ends - for me to make a move back out to where I began my career in the first place. In the meantime, I'll continue working on my writing and look towards the future and not the past.

No comments: